Cannabis Chemistry: Synthetic vs. Synthesized
Join Hometown Hero CEO and Co-Founder, Lukas Gilkey, as he sits down with Mark Krause from Krause Analytical as they discuss cannabinoids and Mark's involvement in the hemp industry in the video below:
Synthesis vs. Synthetic
Synthesis has a very defined meaning in chemistry. It is the reaction between two or more compounds to create new compounds. The term "synthetic chemistry" means reacting two compounds together to get a new one.
What is a "derivative?"
Here's the full definition of hemp from the 2018 Farm Bill:
(1) HEMP.—The term 'hemp' means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.
One key aspect of this definition is the term "all derivatives." Although we all may have our definition of a derivative, there is a precise chemistry definition of what a "derivative" is.
"Derivative" is a specific form of synthesis. It's when you take two compounds, react them together, and create a new compound.
The Paradox of THC-O
If you've been keeping up with the news recently, you might have caught wind of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) stating that THC-O is a controlled substance.
However, early on in the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), hemp and hemp-derived cannabinoids fall within the purview of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
So basically, you have one aspect of federal law saying that hemp-derived cannabinoids are outside the CSA, which falls under the DEA's purview. Still, the DEA jumped into the USDA's territory, declaring THC-O, despite being hemp-derived, to be a controlled substance.
Learn More About The Shifting Landscape of Hemp
From chemistry to politics, a lot is happening in the hemp industry. And keep in mind that this video is just part 1 of our conversation with Mark Krause.
If you're interested in more hemp-industry news, you can check out more blog posts/videos in this series:
- Customer FAQ, Hemp's Impact, and Our Mission
- Why Senate Bill 264 Misses the Mark
- Why Special Interests Are Against Hemp THC
- Our Texas Delta-8 Lawsuit & Hemp THC Legality
- A Conversation with Law Enforcement
Until next time.