Delta 8 THC is a cannabinoid found organically in the hemp plant that has rapidly expanded in popularity nationwide with promising results in both the medical and recreational field. While Delta 8 THC might be familiar to the main chemical found in marijuana, Delta 9 THC, it has completely different effects along with generally less potency to its user.
But is Delta 8 THC legal in Iowa?
Related article: What is Delta 8 THC?
As of writing this 09/22/2021, Delta 8 THC is illegal under Iowa state law.
The following bills highlight why Delta 8 THC is illegal in Iowa
1. The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof, and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods.
2. A plant of the genus Cannabis other than Cannabis sativa L., with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods, but only to the extent allowed by the department in accordance with applicable federal law, including the federal hemp law.
“THC” means total tetrahydrocannabinol as determined by an official laboratory test postdecarboxylation.
20. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plants of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, Thu Dec 05 12:35:22 2019 Iowa Code 2020, Chapter 124 (49, 4) §124.101, CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES 4 manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
4. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for purposes of this paragraph only, the term “isomer” includes the optical, position and geometric isomers):
u. Tetrahydrocannabinols, except as otherwise provided by rules of the board for medicinal purposes, meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (Cannabis plant) as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the Cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following:
(1) 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(2) 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(3) 3,4 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers. (Since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions covered.)
If you’re a novice enthusiast, it may not make sense that hemp-derived Delta 9 is legal in IA while Delta 8 isn’t.
It all goes back to the 2018 Farm Bill.
Before this bill, hemp was seen as the same as marijuana.
However, this proposal not only legally separated both plants but also would federally legalize hemp with up to 0.3% of hemp-derived Delta 9 by weight.
And the bill passed.
Since then, states across the country have implemented these laws and changed their definition of hemp, including Iowa.
As of this writing, hemp-derived Delta 9 adheres to the Farm-Bill policy, is legal in all 50 states, and can travel across state lines.
Although Delta 8 and Delta 9 are both forms of THC, they hold different chemical structures, which cause other effects.
But we aren’t here to bore you about the chemical side of their differences.
Instead, we will break it down simply.
Both of these compounds have the same formula.
Though Delta 8’s chemical bond is located on the eighth chain, Delta 9’s is on the ninth chain.
Hence, they are called “Delta 8” and “Delta 9.”
And you’d be surprised that this slight difference is the primary reason these cannabinoids offer differing effects.
Some say that Delta 8 will bring on feelings of uplifted feelings and an overall sense of wellbeing, while Delta 9 has been reported to create euphoria.
Effects vary, but this will give you an idea of what may occur.
You must be 21 years or older to purchase hemp-derived Delta 9 products in Iowa.
Are you on the search for Delta 9?
Luckily for you, this is right up our alley.
The first place to look for Delta 9 products is your local hemp store.
What they have in stock will depend on the size of the shop.
So if your local store doesn’t have what you need, switch direction and shop online.
Shopping for hemp online is the ultimate way to purchase Delta 9.
It's easy, discreet, and fast.
And when you take a browse at our online store, you’ll find that we offer that, as well as high-quality, lab-tested products.
So hop on your nearest device and browse our large selection of hemp-derived Delta-9 products.
We carry hemp-derived Delta-9 products such as hemp-derived Delta-9 gummies and baked goods.
So up your hemp game today with the top products in the game.
If you want to see a change in these laws, we recommend you voice your opinions to your local and state lawmakers. The only way that cannabis laws can change in your state is if you make your voice heard! If you would like to see Delta 8 THC and CBD products available for purchase, let your representatives know!
Hemp is a versatile plant that offers us many avenues of cannabinoids. And despite Delta 8 THC being illegal in IA, Delta 9 isn’t. So before you feel too bummed, shop with us today, and find which D9 product meets your needs. Upon trial, we guarantee quality. Just remember to start small to set the vibe for a good time.
2023, Hometown Hero CBD
Questions? Contact Support
Gift Cards, Taxes, and Shipping calculated at checkout. Active military & veterans click here to receive a 15% off military discount!